Thursday, August 22, 2013

Papertrey August 2013 Blog Hop

So I will not get to participate in Stamp-a-Faire because I will be out of town the entire weekend. (though not too much boo-hoo-ing is necessary, because I will be having fun, nonetheless!) But I did want to get at least one entry ready for the monthly blog hop. I can log in and add my post on Sunday morning from where I am.

I really wanted to do a project for each color scheme, since they're all so pretty! But I am rapidly running out of time and I only have one card done...(I will definitely try to squeeze a couple more in later this evening if I can). I spent a lot of time on this one, because I wanted to use a new embellishment that I made from the new Mod Podge melts and a Martha Stewart silicone mold, so I created my entire card around it.

Here is the color scheme & sketch from the Blog Hop list that I used for this card...it's so pretty!



The butterfly in the center was made with the Milk Glass Mod Podge Melts (these are basically just white-colored glue sticks that you put in a regular mini glue gun and then squeeze into silicone molds. I found that you can do the exact same thing with any mini glue gun glue sticks; there's nothing special about the ones from Mod Podge, except for the fact that white ones are hard to find). I used a Martha Stewart silicone mold that was meant for use with Air Dry Clay, but this is much faster and easier! I tinted the butterfly with Royal Velvet ink from Papertrey, then smeared on some Blue Metallic Run-ons (from Color Kit #1), shown at left:

The butterfly looks much prettier in person, with the purple inked background and a shimmery blue foreground. It didn't photograph too well.

I stamped the background with Beautiful Butterflies and then used one of my new Gelatos (in Cotton Candy) to edge the white and then blend with a dry blending stub. I wanted to make it a bit smoother, so I went over it very slightly with a water brush, and it picked up a little bit of purple from somewhere and created that purplish-blue watercolor edging. I really liked the result.

I popped the whole front panel up with really thick foam tape squares, so that the butterfly would really look set back; it's quite a chunky embellishment, so I had to use thick foam square to get the shadow box effect.

Well, that's about it, I guess. I'm off to pack for the weekend!



Supply list:

Cardstock: Simply Chartreuse (card base), White (front panel) (PTI); little scrap of green for behind butterfly from my stash of scraps
Stamp Set(s): Beautiful Butterflies (PTI); Punch Potpourri (SU)
Ink/Colorants: Plum Pudding, Enchanted Evening, Hawaiian Shores, Royal Velvet (PTI); Cotton Candy Gelato (Faber-Castell)
Embellishments: handmade butterfly; enamel dots (My Mind's Eye)
Tools: Get a Handle on It banner die (PTI); Boho Blossoms, Scallop Circle punches (SU); Circle die (Spellbinders)

No comments:

Post a Comment