Tuesday, May 1, 2012

PDCC129-CFC50

I'm again combining the two lovely challenges from the Play Date Cafe and CAS-ual Fridays. The CFC was pretty simple, just use some flowers! I was still in need of a couple more Mother's Day cards, so I thought I'd throw one together with flowers and the PDCC colors:


Well, this card turned out to be the "learning curve" card. I wanted to try a bunch of new things on it...techniques I haven't used a lot (embossing with PTI dies, using watercolor crayons w/stamps) and busting out some stamp sets that I've had for ages but never used (sad, I know). I also thought I'd practice my Copic coloring, but in the end, I decided to leave that for another time, as the flower that I colored at first just didn't turn out. That's when I turned to my brand-new looking watercolor crayons. I love these things!

I used a two-step stamp set from Technique Tuesday to stamp the outline of the focal flower, and then topped it off with the watercolor-look filler stamp. I liked the look, but it still needed something, so that's when I got busy with the watercolor crayons. I wanted to stamp the sentiment at the bottom, but it just needed something else, so that's when I decided to add the roses from the same TT set. Just stamping the sentiment in dye ink looked too bold, so I decided to color on the sentiment stamp with my watercolor crayon, misted it, then stamped. That worked. The final touch that balanced it all out was adding the scallops at the top. Before that, it was too color-heavy on the bottom. This card took me forever, but now that it's done, I'm pretty happy with the result. It was good practice at working at a design until I got it right. Sometimes that result comes together quickly, and sometimes it doesn't!

Photobucket

Supply list:

Cardstock: Lemon Tart (PTI); Natural White (SU)
Stamp Set(s): Two Steppin' in the Garden, retired (Technique Tuesday); Love Deepens (Verve); Boutique Borders (CTMH)
Ink/Colorants: Concord Crush, Purely Pomegranate (SU); Lemon Tart (PTI); Rich Razzleberry & So Saffron watercolor crayons (SU)
Tools: Limitless Layers circle dies, 1-3/4" & 2-1/2" (PTI)

4 comments:

  1. This is ever so pretty, Rachel, and a spot-on take on the color story! Thanks so much for playing along with us this week at The Play Date Cafe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun that you tried out lots of techniques. I just LOVE the way you've coloured the flower border, it's beautiful! Thanks so much for joining in the fun with us over at The Play Date Cafe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I really like the look and feel of the above graphic and love the color scheme. It's looks so elegant. Just so happens, I need a card for Mother's day, go figure.... ;) Do you have any left?

    ReplyDelete