Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Mojo Monday #209 - Christmas card

I decided to jump in with this week's Mojo Monday challenge...I don't always have time to do their challenge each week, but I'm trying to get around to using all of my stamps, so it helps to have challenges from each company that get me in the right frame of mind.

I'm trying to make all cards from here on out (for awhile anyway) Christmas cards. When I make a card for a challenge, I will make at least one more, and duplicate it or make it a different variation. I'm realizing once again that although bulky Christmas cards with buttons & bows and other such chunkiness look wonderful, they sure are a challenge to mail. So with every elaborate card I make for a challenge, I'd like to try and make an alternate version that is flatter and easier (cheaper) to mail.

Here's this week's sketch:



And my candy cane inspired cards:
Photobucket

This is the one I will actually post for the Mojo Monday challenge ~
Photobucket

I hope that the little bit of dimension on the poinsettia can be seen clearly...

To simplify the card and maker it easier to mail, I reversed the colors on the pendant focal point so that I could simply stamp the poinsettia in red and leave it at that (instead of partially trimming out the leaves with my craft knife). I also cut out patterned paper "buttons" using my PTI button dies. I also simply left off the bow so that the whole card would be flatter.

Photobucket

Supply list:

Cardstock: Sweet Blush (PTI); White Daisy (CTMH); Real Red (SU); pink scraps (various)
Patterned Paper: from the Everybody Loves Christmas collection (Echo Park) {at time of posting, their web page isn't working for this collection; hopefully it will be fixed and you can see this adorable collection in it's entirety!}
Stamp Set(s): Poinsettia Christmas (Verve)
Ink/Colorants: Satin Red, Crimson Red (VersaFine); Black (CTMH)
Embellishments: Buttons - Peppermint Candy (Oriental Trading), Red (stash); Fresh Snow luxe satin ribbon (PTI)
Tools: Simple Circles border, Buttoned Up, Double-ended Banner dies (PTI); Fleur de Lis Accents, Standard Circle dies (Spellbinders)

2 comments: